Roasted stuffed tomatoes that are filled to the brim with a flavorful mixture of pesto quinoa and fresh spinach. Vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 6 tomatoes
- 6 medium tomatoes, seeds and cores removed
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed & drained
- 6 Tbsp pesto (If you don’t wan’t to make your own, this one is vegan)
- 10 oz fresh spinach
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup raw cashews (or pine nuts)
- 1 garlic clove
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (Optional – this is a substitute I use for parmesan cheese)
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off the top of the tomatoes. Use a spoon with a serrated edge to slip in and scoop out all the seeds and membranes. Set aside.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil in the bottom of the baking dish and spread it around. Place tomatoes in the baking dish. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over the top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle salt & pepper on each tomato.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, cook the diced onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil, for 5-8 minutes or until translucent. Add the cooked quinoa, spinach, pesto, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix together, let cook just until spinach has wilted and everything is combined.
- Spoon filling into tomatoes and put the top back on.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the skin starts to blister.