- 6 large bell peppers, any color
- 2 cups wild rice or brown rice, cooked
- 1 lb. 93% Lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 16 oz. jar crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cut off the tops of the peppers remove the seeds, trim the bottoms to help them sit flat in the skillet and rinse thoroughly. In a large pan boil the peppers for 5 minutes, remove from water and turn upside down onto a paper towel to dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large skillet add the olive oil, garlic and onion, saute until tender. Add the turkey and brown until thoroughly cooked.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, rice, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and stir until blended.
- Fill the peppers evenly with the mixture, place in a lightly greased 10 inch cast iron skillet. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and add the remaining cheese to the top of peppers and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted