- 1 cup basmati brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups cold water
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ size pieces
- 4 cups kale, coarsely chopped & packed
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup milk (I used 2% cow’s milk, any plain milk of choice works)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp salt + a pinch
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup Colby Jack/Tex Mex cheese, shredded
- Cooking spray
- In a large pot, add rice, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 mins. Remove from heat and set aside. There will be some water left in the pot, do not drain. We need it to continue cooking rice in the oven.
- While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Also, preheat large skillet on high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a pot with rice, along with kale and broccoli.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, garlic powder, cornstarch, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour into a pot with rice, chicken and veggies. Also add 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and gently mix to combine. Transfer mixture to a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, level with spatula and sprinkle with 2/3 cup Colby Jack/Tex Mex cheese. Cover with foil tightly and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Serve hot.