- 6 cups very thinly sliced kale (about ½ large bunch), tough stems removed (see Note)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), coarsely chopped
- 2 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper14
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Place kale and eggs in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Leaving the bacon fat in the pan, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- Add oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Pour the mushroom mixture over the kale and eggs. Add the bacon and toss to combine.
- Note: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.